Hey John,

I had a similar issue in my development environment.  It turned out that
I had enabled an "experimental" feature in Firefox (pipelining, I
believe?  I can't remember what it was called) that was supposed to
increase the number of simultaneous connections my browser made to the
web server.  However, what I read was that not all proxies/web servers
are able to handle this, and in my case, it ended up greatly increasing
the amount of time needed to request/respond.

I turned this off in Firefox, and my pages immediately became
instantaneous again.

Andy