It's not really the code organization per se, but the build process.

The main difference is that with quickstart, you can build, deploy and run with one command from source - 'mvn jetty:run'

You can also build a war (or ear) - 'mvn package', which you can then deploy into any container (ie tomcat, jetty, jboss). I've seen a few people on the list ask for this.

You can also build project files - 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' or 'mvn idea:idea' so that it is easy to use your favourite IDE.

It just makes it very clear what is going on, whereas the current 16 step process, and the resultant sets of files can be quite confusing. For a while I didn't even know what I was building. That said, it was informative to see another way of setting up a project (aside from the information garnered from jumpstart itself, once running).

The same clarity could be accomplished with an ant build file, if maven isn't to your liking. I could probably help out a bit if needed.

Cheers,