I just ran into this issue myself, and switching to a 1.5 jre fixed it.
(although now I get a "Java compiler level does not match the version of the
installed Java project facet." error reported by Eclipse... which means
nothing to me)

I thought that reporting what was causing the problem may help Howard and
the T5 developers.

        @BeforeRenderBody
        boolean currentPage(MarkupWriter writer)
        {
           if (pager.getCurrentPageNum() == value)
           {
                writer.element("span", "class", "thispage");
                writer.write(Integer.toString(value));
                writer.end();
                return false;
           }
           return true;
        }

No problems occurred if I removed the writer.method() calls. Also if I put
these called in an @AfterRenderBody method it worked fine. Very odd
behavior, and it would be nice to know what the plans are are to resolve
this so that T5 can work well with jdk1.6, although I'm not clear whether
the fix would be in the JRE, javassist lib or T5. Sorry for my ignorance -
just trying to provide useful info.