Has anyone tried my demo page of the problem? I've simplified it as much as I
can to show just the issue at hand. Should this go into JIRA now?

Class:

public class BasicAJAX
{
    @Property
    @Persist
    private int count = 0;

    @Component
    private Zone aZone;

    Object onActionFromOutsideZone() {
        count++;
        return aZone;
    }

    Object onActionFromInsideZone() {
        count++;
        return aZone;

Template:
    <h1>Basic AJAX Tester (${count} - only updates on full page refresh)</h1>

    <a t:type="actionlink" t:id="outsideZone" href="#" t:zone="aZone">Refresh -

        <a t:type="actionlink" t:id="insideZone" href="#"
t:zone="aZone">Refresh - this is an AJAX-enabled ActionLink inside the