you can do it with javascript... sth like this (not tested)

put a normal
<input type="submit" value="${cancel}" onclick="return
avoidValidation(this)">

function avoidValidation(elem){
    var form = elem.parentNode;
    //find form
    while(form && form.tagName != "FORM") form = form.parentNode;
    form.onsubmit = null;
    return true;
}

I've added a jira for this some time ago ... and it got prolonged to T5.1
somehow :(

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-2109