https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-2377

I checked a bunch of alternatives, and I think the best option is one or more hyphens. Every other char I tried either has a purpose or is ignored.

On Apr 22, 2008, at 11:42 AM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

That is a valid point. At the core of this issue is the way Tapestry
is responsible for doling out *unique* ids to elements of the page, as
the page is rendered. This is necessary because you may have nested
components that end up with conflicting ids very easily.

The convention of appending a suffix, seperated by a colon, was taken
on because colons are not valid component id characters, so there's no
chance of conflict.

We'll have to look into an alternative; perhaps "." will work, or "$".

Please add an issue to JIRA.