Is it possible to update a zone as a result of a form submission, rather than
having the entire page refresh?

I have a form with a select box and submit button to change the sorting of a
list of search results, and when I return a zone from the event handler method
onSubmit() the entire page is refreshed rather than just the zone. The zone
updates correctly from other actionlinks on the page and their onAction() event
handler. Is the answer to get the form to fire action events somehow?

I admit that I'm still a little confused still by events, is there a complete
list of the event types and their uses/behaviour somewhere that I've missed?