+1 for this

keep it simple and clear!

Max

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Don Ryan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 25. Juni 2008 13:08
An: Tapestry users
Betreff: Re: What if "Page" was removed from page names?

On 25 Jun 2008, at 01:12, Filip S. Adamsen wrote:

> As long as it's configurable, I'm fine with it. :)

Except you lose some of the intrinsic simplicity of convention over
configuration when you decide to offer both. Note that, depending on
how it's implemented, this change need not break any existing
Tapestry 5 applications. If the page class has a -Page suffix, then
Tapestry would map to that. (You might have to throw an exception if
Foo and FooPage both existed under the pages package hierarchy.)

On the naming issue itself, I think it would be a positive
development. I think the historical convention of using entity-like
names for pages is a regrettable fuzziness. I've shown Tapestry to
some undergraduate students and a common beginner's mistake is to put
code in a page class that really belongs in an entity class. The
naming didn't help there. I'm sure something similar would apply with
junior developers in a software house. There's very little point in
making the hurdles any higher for people learning their craft.

To really set the cat amongst the pigeons (and infuriate the
keystroke tax collectors), I think a similar mapping of a -Component
suffix would be good for components (again optional). Although it's
unfortunately a longer suffix, the conceptual clarity would probably
be worth it. (Why refer to something as, say, an "account component"
when discussing it but refuse to actually call it that. Because it's
too long?)

Lastly, I don't think I would go along with Hugo's idea of list of
optional suffixes. I can't imagine any sensible suffix for pages and
components other than -Page and -Component. (Although that could just
be my limited imagination.) :-)

Don.
This message has been scanned for content and viruses by the DIT Information
Services E-Mail Scanning Service, and is believed to be clean. http://www.dit.ie