(this isn't a question - I found a solution)

I have installed maven - it is functioning correctly.  I have not installed or
configured anything else specific to it.

I am simply trying to following the Tapestry Archetype explained here:

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/tapestry-archetype/index.html

When I used the command:

mvn archetype:create -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.tapestry \
-DarchetypeArtifactId=tapestry-archetype \
-DarchetypeVersion=4.1.6-SNAPSHOT -DgroupId=org.example -DartifactId=myapp

I get a warning:

[INFO] [archetype:create]
[WARNING] No archetype repository found.
[WARNING] Specified archetype not found.

And then I'm asked to pick an archetype.  I'm new to maven, so I'm rather
confused (and seriously annoyed) that after specifying all these options - it's
not found.

So I got some help on #tapestry, it seems that I need to specify the remote
location of the repository containing the archetype's definition (and I
remember this was also mentioned in one of Howard's T5 posts:
http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2007/01/new-screencast-tapestry-maven-archetype.html).

I think this will likely fix it (I mean, it's got to):

mvn archetype:create -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.tapestry
-DarchetypeArtifactId=tapestry-archetype
-DremoteRepositories=http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/
-DarchetypeVersion=4.1.6-SNAPSHOT -DgroupId=com.example -DartifactId=testapp

Nope! Still -I get the warning and I'm being asked to pick one of the 36
archetypes available to the version I'm running (maven 2.0.8)

I have verified that there appears to be a archetypeVersion available at the
remote repository:

http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/tapestry/tapestry-archetype/

I figure that the remote repository concatenated with the groupId and
artifactId, you'd get that URL roughly (with a replace of . with /).

Next suggestion (from #tapestry) is that I just use the 4.1.2 archetypeVersion,
so I try that:

mvn archetype:create -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.tapestry
-DarchetypeArtifactId=tapestry-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=4.1.2
-DgroupId=org.example -DartifactId=myapp

Again - same results (No archetype found).

I decided to make some modifications and see if adding the remote repository
would fix it:

mvn archetype:create -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.tapestry
-DarchetypeArtifactId=tapestry-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=4.1.2
-DgroupId=org.example -DartifactId=myapp
-DremoteRepositories=http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/

Nope - same results (no archetype found)

mvn archetype:create -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.tapestry
-DaArtifactId=tapestry-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=4.1.2-SNAPSHOT
-DgroupId=org.example -DartifactId=myapp
-DremoteRepositories=http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/

I know I'm missing something simple - and it's only because I'm just starting to
use Maven that I don't see what it is.  But I feel I've been a good effort to
figure out the issue; now, I'm out of ideas

Then I remember - you're never really out of ideas until you've googled
everything thing you can think of regarding the problem.  So I figure that some
poor T4 developer has run into this before. Mailing lists might be the gold mine
I'm looking for.

BAM! Nabble to the rescue!  It appears that someone had a similar issue with
archetype not being found:

http://www.nabble.com/problems-with-Maven-archetype-td15754471s177.html

It appears that -U is something to pay attention to!

I give it a whirl:

mvn -U archetype:create -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.tapestry
-DarchetypeArtifactId=tapestry-archetype
-DremoteRepositories=http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/
-DarchetypeVersion=4.1.6-SNAPSHOT -DgroupId=com.gigism -DartifactId=testapp2

WOW!  It works!

I guess -U forces a check for updates on releases and snapshots on remote
repositories.

Apparently, now that I have these updates - I could run the command without the
option it'll work.  So I do - and IT WORKS!

My only complaint is that the Tapestry Maven Archetype example is written with
the idea that you may have just installed Maven (there's a link above the
command to where to download it). Yet there is no mention of needing -U or the
remote repository argument.

Oh and I realized that since -U was no longer needed - maybe something would be
up with the remote repository.  I try, it works.  Now, once you have checked
against remote repositories - you don't even need that argument is seems.

But I'm curious - I'm defective? Is there some configuration of maven2 that I
missed? Or Should those arguments have been mentioned?