Alex Kotchnev wrote:

I also found this solution :
http://www.nabble.com/Re-%3A-Re-%3A-T5%3A-Layout-question-to16448904.html#a16448904,
but life just becomes a little uglier with it. I see that we're
jumping
through these hoops to prevent template previewability and so if it becomes
too much of a hassle to deal with I can scrap previewability. However, it's
such a pity when it was nice and elegant in T4, and not it's a little worse.

What are the problems with the last option? You just mark <html> tag with t:type="layout" and wrap the $content$ area with <t:parameter name="body">...page content...</t:parameter>. Simple. Inside the layout you use <t:delegate t:to="body"/> instead of <t:body/> and that's all (there "body" is the component parameter).

Like this:

Layout.tml
 <head> ... </head>

Page1.html: