A few of us here are using Eclipse Ganymede (the largest, J2ee version).  It
has the bells and whistles of WTP, and takes some of the pain out of getting
compatible plugins.
You can add the m2Eclipse plugin in the standard eclipse way, from this
update site:
http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org/update/
I'm on 0.0.12.xxxx, and I haven't needed to update since I installed it
months ago.

The wiki is still a great place to look on configuration, even though some
of it is out-dated.