I have no new info on this, and I think we should add ticket to get this
sorted. (If it is something we do wrong -> correct the documentation or then
it is a bug that needs a fix anyway.)

Currently I'm just fetching the values from context by hand.

The reason behind this however is likely to be the order in which the
services are started: it doesn't require much effort to create situation
where for an example symbol provider is needed to contribute an alias, but
the alias service is needed to create the symbol provider... The end result
would be exactly the message we've been receiving, and unfortunately there
is no easy way around this afaik. Also it seems that this error comes deep
from Tapestry because the services are so fundamental to Tapestry, although
the recursive cycle is due to my own services.

I'm just happy that I have problems only reading context variables that are
very limited in number ;)

Don't know if this is the case here though.