Jonathan,

Actually I use an underlying select with an Encoder, OptionModel and SelectionModel, I just wrap it all into a single component because it gets used in a number of places and it is easier to set the Encoder, OptionModel and SelectionModel once then to have multiple developers remember what to set each time they want a select control with a list of countries.

Make sense?

On Oct 7, 2008, at 2:40 PM, Jonathan Barker wrote:

Keith,

Is there a particular reason that you created a custom component for the Country selection rather than just using the standard Select component? Is
it just that it gets used in a number of places, or was there another
reason?

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Bottner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 14:59
To: Tapestry users
Subject: Re: Treating a Component Like a Form Field

I have used @Parameter before but never like this. I am unsure how
this would work.

Right now inside of my component I have a field named selection and I
have a public getter and setter so that I can retrieve this value from
within the page that is using the component. I also have a @Property
private Country country in a page that uses the component along with a
@Component( id = "country" ) private CountrySelect countrySelect.
After submitting the form the only way to retrieve what the user
selected in the select drop down is to do
countrySelect.getSelection(). The country field that is in the field
does not get field. What I would like is to be able to NOT include the
CountrySelect and just use the @Property Country country like the
standard form controls.

With all of that said, I do not see how @Parameter will make a
difference. Is there some other use then the standard use supplying a
parameter in a component template?

Keith