It sure is possible.
Looking at your use case my approach would be to implement those conditional
validation on the "onValidateForm" method in your page / component class.

For example:

public class Login
{
  @Persist
  @Property
  private String userId;

  @Property
  private String password;

  @Component
  private Form form;

  @Inject
  private LoginAuthenticator authenticator;

  void onValidateForm()
  {
    if (! authenticator.isValidLogin(userId, password))
    {
      form.recordError("Invalid user name or password.");

  Object onSuccess()
  {
    return PostLogin.class;