I needed to make sure that my secure pages were working so I have been using the @Secure and then I just installed a self-signed certificate into Tomcat. Then I had to make one change so that the ports would be set properly by Tapestry, here it is.

public static void contributeAlias(Configuration<AliasContribution> configuration, @Inject @Value("${"+SymbolConstants.PRODUCTION_MODE+"}" ) final String production
  {
                if (0 != production.compareToIgnoreCase("true"))
                {
              BaseURLSource source = new BaseURLSource()
              {
                  public String getBaseURL(boolean secure)
                  {
                      String protocol = secure ? "https" : "http";

                      int port = secure ? 8443 : 8080;

return String.format("%s://localhost:%d", protocol, port);
                  }
              };

configuration.add(AliasContribution.create(BaseURLSource.class, source));

This is a alternate approach and you may or may not like it better.

Keith