The docs on the website reflect the latest stable release except for
when a new release is being voted, as is the case currently.  The
functionality you're having trouble with is part of 5.0.16.

We are very good about every change being committed against a JIRA
issue, so the release notes:

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/release-notes.html

Are a very good guide to figuring out what feature went in when.

Howard M. Lewis Ship