> That's one of the reasons I wrote the Ars Machina Generic DAO, Generic
> DAO-Hibernate and Generic Controller: all the common methods (findAll,
> findById, save, update, delete, findByExample, etc) are already written. I
> don't have to rewrite them for every entity class.

My generic dao is pretty much the same and includes everything you said.
The design began when I started using T4 and really just added Generics to
what was already available with Spring's HibernateTemplate.  I've extended
to include findByQuery and a few others that I find REALLY handy during
development to take advantage of Tapestry class reloading.  (I later add
methods to the relevant DAO to replace it, and get *QL out of the view.).

> > To really muck it up, I've got DAO's that extend a generic base DAO.
> > That's fine until the class hierarchy gets a few levels deep and now I'm
> > writing
> > DAO's for Person, Customer, and Employee.
>
> That's what I want to provide default service implementations in
> Tapestry-IoC: not having to implement trivial DAOs and controller
> implementations, just the ones that have methods that my generic DAO and
> generic controller don't have, and still use the whole "user inteface
> classes never use DAOs directly" mantra.

Well that makes sense.  It's the repetitive stuff that makes me feel like
there's a better way.

Jonathan