Thanks, Howard, that seems to have been the issue.  I moved Layout.tml to
/src/main/resources/org/apache/tapestry5/tutorial/components, and now
everything works beautifully.  Is this the right place?

An annotation would be nice, but also might I suggest a less cryptic error
message for components which do not have this annotation, something like
"Layout.tml not found in <paths searched>".

Thanks again,
Marc