Ironic that you are pointed to yahoo for a solution when the advice they
advocated to the community is to load scripts after markup, all for the false
hope of a performance increase, which is ultimately incorrect and is creating
these types of problems... your markup (hence actionlinks etc) should never be
allowed to render until the scripts have loaded and the DOM is available.

See http://www.quirksmode.org/js/placejs.html at the bottom of the page:

Quote: "Placing scripts in the <head> makes sure that any functions are loaded
before the buttons, links or other things that call them are loaded. If you put
your scripts at the very end of a page, it is possible that a user already sees
part of the page including a button with a JavaScript function call, while the
rest of the page hasn't loaded yet. Result: user pushes button and gets
JavaScript Error Message Alerts, because the browser can't find the script
(yet). Unless there's a good reason to do otherwise, place your scripts in the
<head>"

Fortunately this is now configurable in Tapestry.

public static void contributeApplicationDefaults(
                        MappedConfiguration<String, String> configuration) {
configuration.add(SymbolConstants.SCRIPTS_AT_TOP, "true");
}

And I bet your problem goes away.
Peter

--
If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender,
delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or