I'm currently evaluating Tapestry 5 as a replacement for Struts/JSP, but have
encountered a few difficulties that I presume are due to my lack of
experience with the framework, so I'm looking or a bit of help.

Is it possible to generate component ids from an expansion?  For example:

<t:loop t:source="names" t:value="name">
  <t:select t:id="${name}" t:model="literal:value1,value2" />
</t:loop>

Tapestry complains that component ids must be valid Java identifiers, so is
there any way to generate these ids?

Also, these expansions seem rather limited as compared to the jsp expression
language.  Am I wrong in trying to compare expansions to the jsp el?  It
seems that in general I'm required to write quite a bit of setup code in my
view class to support some features that I get out of the box with jsp el.
It also seems that Tapestry expansions are limited to the actual interface
provided by the return type of your accessor methods.  I can understand why
this would be advantageous in certain situations, but I've come to find the
dynamicness of the jsp el to be quite productive.

I'm very new to Tapestry and to component based frameworks in general, so
any help is appreciated.

Thanks!