IMO it is recommended to do a cold start of Tomcat after *each* redeploy of
webapps.
Else you will sooner or later run into mysterious problems, caused by memory
leaks and such.
This will also verify that Tomcat is able to start after a power outage.

(In development mode, this is of course not necessary.)

So I'd advice you to put an Apache in front, and let it redirect to the
static service page when you take Tomcat down.
This will also give you freedom to do maintenance on Tomcat itself.

Olle