How is your IDE configured?
In Eclipse, it is possible to set it to build automatically when a file is
saved.
For .tml files, "build" means copy it from src/main/resources to
target/classes.

It is also possible to turn this feature off, requiring one to both save
(Ctrl-S) and build (Ctrl-B) before a change is picked up by Tapestry.

HTH,
Olle