Hm... I think there are many possible points of failure for the encoding...

- maybe your browser thinks the page is not utf-8. Is the encoding set
correctly either in a http response header or html meta tag?

- what do you use for building your project? If you use maven, check
the "encoding" argument for the compiler plugin configuration. If it
is not set, maven will assume the source files are in the platform
default encoding, no matter what eclipse says.

Also, as a quick workaround, you could use the html entity ° and
use t:outputRaw instead of the $ notation.

hth,

Lutz

--
altocon GmbH