I'm not 100% sure but I think returning a block only works with Zones. In all other cases, the rules as described here http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/guide/pagenav.html apply.

Cheers,

Uli

dsarosi schrieb:
I'm trying to render a block instead of the page when using an ajax call. This way, I can have a low-bandwidth and a high-bandwith (AJAX enabled site).
@Inject
@Property
private Block _content;

@OnEvent("activate")
Object activate()
{
if (req.isXHR()) return _content Object page = validateUserSession();
    retrieveMailSetting();
    return page;
}

However, when I make the ajax call, i get the following error;

A component event handler
 method returned the value Block[content within mail/Compose, at
context:mail/Compose.tml, line 2, column
 25]. Return type org.apache.tapestry5.internal.structure.BlockImpl can not
be handled.  Configured return
 types are java.lang.Class, java.lang.String, java.net.URL,
org.apache.tapestry5.Link, org.apache.tapestry5
.StreamResponse, org.apache.tapestry5.runtime.Component.

Any suggestions?