I am, but that's not my question. My question is how does the select component get a default value encoder when one is not provided as a parameter? The source suggests it comes from the ValueEncoderSource service, to which modules like tapestry-hibernate contribute. But nowhere in the select's source does the it access the ValueEncoderSource service. So, where/when/how does a default encoder get set?