Hi Angelo,

I think the point of sticking the session to the request is to keep it
open until the request is processed, to avoid
LazyInitializationExceptions during view rendering. So you might have
to do your session management without the HibernateSessionManager.

Then again, I wonder if it really makes much of a difference - if the
database stuff is done in the request processing thread, what do you
achieve by closing the session a tiny bit earlier than it would be by
the HibernateSessionManager anyway?

If the database update is really so lengthy, you might want to do it
in a separate thread altogether.

Hth,

Lutz

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 4:16 AM, Angelo Chen <angelochen...@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to run a lengthy thread where some database update happens, is there
> a way to minimize the time when a Hibernate Session is used? something
> similar to:
>
> do while not done
>
>        // do some processing here
>        obtain a session
>        use the session
>        release the session
>
> enddo
>
> If I use HibernateSessionManager, it seems there is no way to release and
> obtain a new session, any idea?

altocon GmbH
http://www.altocon.de/
Software Development, Consulting