I think the problem is that you have persisted the category name, but not the
list of news articles that the grid is using, so when the second page is
requested, no data is available to display.

Try either
a) adding @Persist to your list of data items your grid is displaying, or
b) load the list of data items within onActivate.

Also, if you use onActivate, it is also a good idea to pair it with
onPassivate, as follows:

public String onPassivate() {
    return currentCategoryName;
}

If you do that, you could probably even ditch the @Persist tag on the
currentCategoryName field, as the activation context is passed around in the
url.

cheers,
Scott