I would suggest splitting the documentation.

There should be the reference documentation by the creators/commiters of the
project, whis is organized like a book covering all the different aspects of
tapestry 5 in a reference manner eg like spring or hibernate docs. These are
tied to the release version, too.

And then there should be the community docs with tutorials, howto's, recipes
and so on on a wiki. There should be a pattern in the templates which
requires or at least pushes you, to mention the version of Tapestry you are
using.

And lastly I would suggest setting up a forum. Information is more easily
organized there and searching is more convenient than wíth a mailing list
alone. I would think that the barrier of contributing to a forum is lower
than that of contributing to / asking on a mailinglist. Well, the latter can
also be seen as a feature in a way, but publicity and visibility never
really hurt IMO.