This is a topic that has been discussed before on the list... I don't disagree
with you that there is a need to support server side redirects, this is the key
portion of my argument in favour of supporting them:

"The two types of redirects are distinctly different and equally important.
RequestDipsatcher.forward() is the preferred redirection approach for many
banking sites / payment gateways etc because redirection is performed at the
server (so no need to use a session or querystring parameters). Furthermore,
you always deal with the same request/response and have the ability to set
attributes in the request which can be retrieved even after redirecting... for
example a simple page refresh will update both redirect source and target (nice
for a wizard type UI), whereas with a sendRedirect() a new request/response is
generated each time. "

See this old post for the full discussion:
http://www.nabble.com/t5%3A-forwarding-in-index-tt22694515.html#a23073223

> I was also wondering how does Tapestry handle a custom ExceptionReport page?
> In this case, it also seems to perform a server-side forward or redirect
> (the URL of the original page remains displayed, while the custom
> ExceptionReport page is shown). But in this case, PageLinks and ActionLinks
> work properly.
Good question, you can dig through the source code to be certain, but at a
guess I think Tapestry simply renders markup and doesn't use a server side
redirect.

Peter