Just a few finding while doing SEO for a t5 app:

1. activation context and Index pages

The root Index page of the t5 webapp catches a lot of requests that otherwise would have been a 404. (already discussed on the list).

For our website that means: there are many pages in the google index that have gone a long time ago. But because T5 simply activates the root Index page for those google spider requests, google now finds the start page and reindexes the gone page with the homepage contents. Not quite lucky.

Quick workaround: check the root Index page's activation context:

   Object onActivate(EventContext ctx){
if(ctx.getCount() == 0)
           return null;
        // handle bad requests,
        return Document404.class;   // does the "not found" details
   }

2. Pages with .php extensions

Our public website was a PHP application before we replaced it with our new shiny t5 app. So google had a lot of URLs like .../index.php?id=222 in it's index.

When we switched to t5 and google respidered our website, those requests failed instead of a proper 404 was thrown. Why? Because our Index page did not contain a component named "php"

Quick workaround:
   Object onActionFromPhp() {
       return Fehler404.class;
   }

3. Lowercasing of Page Names

When T5 redirects, page names, component names (, ...?) all become lowercase. I wish that T5 in it's default settings would preserve the case used in originating URLs

4. I wish, T5 would allow underscores, so that my page named "DailyEvents" could have a URL like daily_events

5. I wish that T5 in it's default setting would allow daily_events.html in it's default settings as page name for the same page as in the example above.

I know that T5 URL handling is highly customizable. I wish I had the time to look into that.

What do you think? Or do you have other findings with regards to SEO?

Andy