I think the problem here is that the javascript that FLOT is expecting is
clashing with the prototype javascript library that tapestry imports. When
you use prototype, $ evaluates to a function that expects either a DOM
element or the id of a DOM element. Does FLOT use jquery prehaps? If so, you
might be able to get round this limitation by using jquery's noConflict
mode.

Ciaran