I tried both suggestions without success. Adding the parameter to the JVM
prevents weblogic from starting and changing the system property in the
AppModule crashes all other applications deployed to the server because they
don't have the jars in their classpath.
It seems I am stuck with 5.0.18 as long as tapestry depends on a specific
implementation of Stax.