2010/1/20 Stephan Windmüller <stephan.windmuel...@cs.tu-dortmund.de>:
> Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
>
>> Any advice would be appreciated (also comments about this approach, is
>> it wrong to @Persist values in a component?).
>
> You should use @Persist only when it is absolutely necessary. When you
> only need it on one page this may be an indicator to use another
> solution. What happens to your page is someone uses browser tabs?
>
> Would the activation context do what you need?

So how would you suggest I store data that I only need in a component?
I'm already using the activation context (not for this component) but
the component has a fair number of fields and this is only the first
component. I'm afraid I would be overloading the activation context.
(It's not a lot of data, just a lot of fields.)

I'm not using a database so all data needs to be in either the
session, the URL, or in (the server's) memory (other than the
session). What would be the most economical and scalable way to store
up to a few hundred small fields (tiny integers and single characters
only)? I could probably work out a way to compress it all into a
single string which I could store in the activation context. I suppose
this is the same as the "client" strategy for @Persist? This is warned
against as being expensive and not scalable.