Thanks Thiago. Norman's solution is working fine for me, so I will leave it
like that. (I like keeping my JavaScript to the .tml file as much as
possible to maintain a cleaner separation between the page template and the
page class.) But thanks again for your suggestion. Your approach may come in
handy for another problem.

I am still wondering why Tapestry strips away all <script> unless it's in a
block. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Regards,
Benny