We are doing it this way using T5's StreamResponse:

        return new StreamResponse() {
                public String getContentType() {
                        return pdf.getContentType();
                }
                public InputStream getStream() {
                        return pdf.getPdfStream();
                }
                public void prepareResponse(Response response) {
                        response.setHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment;
filename=fpca.pdf");
                }
        };

The "pdf" variable is of our own class, but the only missing thing is
the content type, which we set as "application/pdf".

mrg