Mike,
   what version of GAE are you using ?

   T 5.1.0.5 still has an issue that prevents it from running out of the
box. Search for GAE on this list to find it. The issue is fixed in 5.2 and
works like magic ( I'm using the 5.2 snapshot build w/ GAE 1.3.0)

    There are a number of T5 apps running in GAE, search this list for more
details. There are a couple of things you need to do to make the dev server
run OK (e.g. there's some monkeying around w/ the agent that ships w/ the
dev server), search for Dmitry Gusev's posts on this list (and on his blog)
for details.

Regards,

Alex K