> Hi all,
Hi,

>  I need to process a big chunk on data uploaded from users. The whole
> process takes up to 2-4 hours as involve a big change in the database.
>
> I've implemented this as a series of Invokable from ParallelExecutor
> and a "controller" service which hold a weak references to the client
> responsible for the data submitted.

Lots of things to consider, especially if the operation needs to be
robust. For instance, are you only keeping the jobs in memory? Are you
worried about the system going down mid-operation?

> With a progresiveDisplay I keep the user informed of the progress of
> the operation (and possibly of the errors involved), my reference is
> kept in a cookie so users could still log out and come back later.

How important is it that this status is accessible? If your users
"MUST" have access to it then I wouldn't stick it in a cookie. Can you
stick the reference in the database? This also makes it so that the
user can pull up the progress from another computer, say on the bus on
the way home using their mobile device.

> Now the Futures from my Invokables are within a MAP keyed to my
> cookie-key and stored in the Service implementation.

What happens when the processing is done? How long are you keeping the
objects in the Map? If you restart the server all this information is
lost so depending on your requirements you might want to keep some
status info in the database.

> May I ask if this solution sound reasonable to you?
>
> I already know this doesn't fit very well in a clustered environment
> but it's not a problem right now... perhaps within 6-8 months.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Massimo
> http://meridio.blogspot.com