Thiago & Josh - thank you so much for your valuable responses! In the
meantime, I was able to find out that the client-id is modified with a
random suffix. Since my page is very simple and the zone will only have a
single form, the solution posted by Josh works nicely:

$('testzone').select('form')[0]

Now - I have one more problem. For the form, I need something like
"interactive validation". Basically, rather than using a "required"
validator, I just need to display the javacript confirm dialog to the user
if the field is empty, to ensure that they really want to save an empty
value.

In traditional JavaScript, I would just do this:
  return confirm('Are you sure to save a blank value?')
in the onSubmit handler of the form.

But this won't work here. So I was thinking that perhaps I should just use
the "required" validator, but handle the Tapestry.FORM_VALIDATE_EVENT and
display the prompt here - and in case the user confirms, just set form's
validation error to false (to allow it to be submitted even if the required
validator failed). But this doesn't seem to do the trick. Is this a
completely wrong way?

Thanks again,
Rado