Hi !

Tapestry 5 has a built-in mechanism to decorate/override services

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/guide/alias.html

As far a i remember, the service in charge of getting messages in page is
ComponentMessagesSource

http://github.com/apache/tapestry5/blob/trunk/tapestry-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tapestry5/internal/services/ComponentMessagesSourceImpl.java

Also, here is a sample of what we did in Wooki to obtain localized messages
in services instances

http://github.com/spreadthesource/wooki/blob/master/src/main/java/com/wooki/services/ServicesMessagesImpl.java

I guess you can easily add a custom DatabaseMessagesBundle in the hierarchy,
also don't forget cacheing strategy

HTH