t 5.1.0.5

re jira, will do.

p.

Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Paul Stanton <p...@mapshed.com.au> wrote:
I've found a strange issue with the @SetupRender annotation when used in a
class hierarchy.

Typically, in java 2 classes within a hierarchy can have the same signature
for a private method and not effect each other, so I would expect this to be
the case when both of these private methods are annotated with @SetupRender.
Therefore the output for case 1 and case 2 (below) should be the same and
print both messages "setupRender2", "setupRender1".

However case 1 only prints "setupRender2" meaning it somehow overwrites the
method in it's implementing class.

This is concerning because
1. there should never be a requirement that a sub-class knows of it's
super-classes implementation
2. if hierarchy does come into play, the subclass should override the super
class.

CASE 1:
------------------
public abstract class StartBase {
  @SetupRender
  private void init() {
      log.debug("setupRender2");

public class Start extends StartBase {
  @SetupRender
  private void init() {
      log.debug("setupRender1");

I think you are correct; it should invoke StartBase.init(), then
Start.init(), following the rule that parent class render event
methods are invoked before subclass render event methods.

Which release of Tapestry are you using?

I believe what's happening is that Tapestry is interpreting
Start.init() as an override of StartBase.init() .... the methods have
the same signature.  Tapestry will effectively ignore the subclass
method because it will be invoked by the base class (again, the rule
about base class methods coming before subclass methods).

However, in this case, it is not correct. Because the method is
private, it is never an override of a base class method and should not
be ignored.

Please add a JIRA issue.

CASE 2:
public abstract class StartBase {