Everton,
   a while back (w/ the T4 equivalent) and more recently (after 5.1) I was
experimenting with using t:content to have a full-blown HTML page but only
use a part of it for the "real" template. Thus, you could have something
like this for a previewable page that your designers can work with in ther
WISYWIGs:

<head>
   .. include whatever styles you need for the HTML editor to display the
page properly
</head>
starts...  -->
                          ... this is the content that you would otherwise
have if you didn't use t:content

which would be the equivalent of having a page that uses the layout like
this (which has zero previewability):
                          ... this is the content that you would otherwise
have if you didn't use t:content

with a layout of
<head></head>

I hope this helps.