Instead of trying to disable every element that can trigger a form
submission, I stop the form submission event itself. Here is the JavaScript
I have been using, and it seems to be working for me:

document.observe("dom:loaded", function() {
    $$("form").invoke("observe", "submit", function(event) {
        if (this.submitted) {
            event.stop();
        } else {
            this.submitted = true;