I believe the code that generates the link you're talking about is on line
150 of AutoComplete.java in T5.2.4.

Link link = resources.createEventLink(*EVENT_NAME*);

By doing a little bit of digging from there, I found that the
(internal) service LinkSource does the hard work. I'm not the right person
to say what's possible with internal services. But if it's possible, you
could do an decoration/override/advice of that service and do some neat
tricks there.

This is the beauty of tapestry, you can usually find the source of most
information within a couple of clicks in eclipse, and the code is most often
very readable because of the clear separation of concerns between services.