I suppose this is useful, but what it does is to invoke the method
regardless of whether XHR is true or not, and then throw away the result.

It probably should be:

  if (request.isXHR()) {
    invocation.proceed();
  }

I'm not sure what the else should be ... probably return null/0/false
(depending on the return type of the annotated method).