From: Donny Nadolny [mailto:donny.nado...@gmail.com]
Sent: Dienstag, 18. Januar 2011 14:06
To: Tapestry users
Subject: Re: t5: 5.2.4 and IE8

Hi Angelo,

I had this exact problem - jQuery and Prototype don't work out in IE8 (I
vaguely remember reading something about IE8 trying to be smart and load/run
scripts in parallel, which cause problems). Sometimes prototype code would
run, but $ would be referencing jQuery even though I had called noConflict
on jQuery.

Here's my solution, which I'm using in my app right now:
 - Download the un-minified source of jQuery, whichever version you're using
 - Modify it so that it never assigns the $ variable in the first place (in
version 1.4.3 it's line 901: "return (window.jQuery = window.$ = jQuery);
just remove the " = window.$" part.
 - Minify it (I used yahoo's javascript compressor -
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/compressor/)
And then everything works.

You can grab it from my site if you like (
http://www.deliverthedeals.com/js/jquery-1.4.3.min.js) to verify that it
works. My version has an extra line at the end though, which assigns jQuery
to $j.

Donny