On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Igor Drobiazko
<igor.drobia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would ask it the other way around: what is the reason to go with 1.6?
> Requiring 1.6 you are loosing some users, expecially those who are working
> for a huge company. Huge companies migrate very, very late. I don't see any
> language feature in 1.6 which I would prefer over a couple of users still
> using 1.5.

I know how it is, I happen to work for one of those huge companies
(though we've long ago migrated to 1.6). The original reason was the
source level compatibility, but yes, I agree we should have kept the
target at 1.5, especially byte-code wise there's nothing that requires
1.6. Perhaps we'll fix that in a new parent version. In the meantime,
for most established companies, shouldn't be an issue hosting a 1.5
version in their company repos.

Kalle