"Better way" is relative, but the designers I've worked with have been
very happy to be able to modify templates of a running application.
Without knowing many of the details, they execute "mvn jetty:run",
modify the templates and commit the files. You need to have Java
installed in their environment, teach them enough about the (maven?)
directory structure, maintain zero-configuration development
environment, configure Jetty to use the source templates directly and
troubleshoot problems in designers' environment from time to time, but
it pays dividends quickly.

Kalle