I think Tapestry should be able to remove the HTML comments from the rendered
result
 - IF the user explicitly enables this. I saw that this was discussed
before, but apparently no actions were taken (right?).

The only reasons I can think of NOT to do it are:

a) slower rendering because of additional computing overhead
-> the overhead is probably quite small, if it isn't, I bet the stripped
version could easily be cached
b) problems with browser specific 'comments' ([if lt IE 6])
-> the  section could simply be ignored (or Javascript can be used for those
conditional commands)

In the end the benefits would be:
-> smaller output
-> comments are kept private - they are for internal purposes only anyway

What do you think?