Thanks to Hugo and Jim for their answers.
Sorry to come back on this after so much time.
I was aware of the encoding of files that Java uses for properties files
and so my editor (actually the Eclipse default properties file editor)
is set properly to ISO-8859-1 .

However my deve environment is on a Windows machine and when I test my
web site running

  System.out.println(  Default Charset=" + Charset.defaultCharset()+";"+
                    "file.encoding=" +
System.getProperty("file.encoding")+";"+
                    "Default Charset=" + Charset.defaultCharset()+";"+
                    "Default Charset in Use=" + getDefaultCharSet()));

I get

Default Charset=windows-1252;file.encoding=Cp1252;Default
Charset=windows-1252;Default Charset in Use=Cp1252

and still properties files content is dipslayed correctly
While on the server (an Ubuntu box) where pages are displayed
incorrectly the same check shows:

Default Charset=US-ASCII;file.encoding=ANSI_X3.4-1968;Default
Charset=US-ASCII;Default Charset in Use=ASCII

I asked my sys admin to work on this

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa