To add, I'm not sure creating a pure XHR request is working out quite how I might have expected. The following javascript snippet:

var request = false;
        try {
          request = new XMLHttpRequest();

          var url = "/ViewTransactionsTab:HideShow/" + escape(hide);

          request.open("GET", url, true);
          request.send(null);

        } catch (failed) {
          request = false;
        }

and the Java Page class snippet:

@Property @Persist
 private Boolean hide;

 void onHideShow(boolean hidden){

     debug("In onHideShow. Hidden: " + hidden);

     hide = hidden;
 }

When this is executed, it triggers the event method properly in the Java Page class, but it also triggers the render cycle in the page class as well, as far as my logs indicate. I don't believe this rendering is relayed to the client, but it doesn't seem right either. This code was loosely based off of http://tapestry.markmail.org/thread/fc2hubsb6dd6hait